Today the Wi-Fi Alliance has launched Wi-Fi Direct. Wi-Fi Direct allows devices to connect directly to each other without the need for an existing network. The devices will basically function like a P2P network between each other.
The Wi-Fi Direct functionality will be available from vendors like Cisco, Apple, and Intel starting today. The first cards that have made it through the certification are as follows:
* Atheros XSPAN® Dual-band 802.11n PCIe Mini Card (AR928x)
* Broadcom BCM43224 Dual-Band 802.11n 2×2 MIMO PCIe Half Mini Card
* Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200
* Ralink MIMObility 802.11n 2×2 PCIe Half Mini Card
* Realtek RTL8192CE-VA4 HM92C00 PCIe mini card